Friday, June 18, 2010

on being a big fat baby.

Yesterday I got on a bicycle for the first time in a decade. Ten years ago, I thought bike-riding was fun. Then as a teenager, my busy schedule gave way to disinterest, and then to inexperience, and finally after so many years, to fear. Of course, you can hardly blame me for being slightly petrified of vehicles that are supposed to balance on two wheels. After coming inches from careening off a cliff three years ago on a motor scooter in Australia, I was in no hurry to test fate again. But this was a free bike, and this is Boulder. So after weeks of putting it off, I finally went ahead and set out to face my fear. I wheeled my bike down the stairs and out into the yard. I took a deep breath and looked around. And let me tell you, I could swear that every passing car contained a driver gaping in his rear-view mirror at the scared-looking grown woman who clearly had never gotten past training wheels. Whole families were crowded around their apartment windows, pointing and laughing at my ineptitude. Even the dog in my parking lot was tossing me knowing glances. Then I threw my leg over the seat, sat down... and started to pedal. Even after all that time, the old axiom rang true - it is, truly, just like riding a bike. I managed to stay upright surprisingly well despite my vivid premonitions of slamming into trees and parked cars. It was exhilarating. After riding in circles for a little while, I led my bike back into the apartment, gave myself a pat on the back... and ate milk and cookies while watching cartoons and coloring in my coloring book. Just kidding. It was soy milk.

Life hasn't been too exciting as of late. Work is going very well, though. I got assigned to work the bar last Monday night, which was encouraging because bar shifts are generally the most coveted and only the most seasoned staff tend to get them. I'm feeling more comfortable around everyone and I'm doing very well in tips. And aside from my ever-present personal obsession with planning, I feel no pressure whatsoever to have any idea what I'm doing with my life. It's funny, every now and again I'll hear a siren and think to myself, "I'm so glad I'm a waitress." I've also been toying with some new career options lately, which isn't something I've done in a long time. I feel far more free and far more young than I have anytime in recent memory. That is a very positive thing.

Just for kicks, I'll be starting a science blog sometime soon. I'll keep you updated.

2 comments: